A silent killer, oral and pharyngeal cancer (cancer of the mouth and upper throat) collectively kills nearly one person every hour of every day of the year…yet it’s highly treatable if caught early. Benco Dental supports Oral Cancer Awareness in the dental profession with a focus on early detection. Here are three ways the nation’s largest independently owned dental distributor is spreading the message this month.
1. Informative articles, including 15 Questions and Answers About Oral Cancer and How Dentists Can Help in Early Detection
Articles at Benco Dental U include:
- 15 Questions and Answers About Oral Cancer and How Dentists Can Help in Early Detection HERE
- 3 Top Myths and Facts about Oral Cancer HERE
- Hot To Detect Oral Cancer HERE
- The Fight Against Oral Cancer Starts with You HERE.
2. Innovation, such as award-winning oral cancer screening devices support early detection
For many patients, the only comprehensive oral exam they regularly receive is from dentists. That’s why it’s important for dental practitioners to understand how the oral cancer landscape is changing, along with patient demographics, various etiologies and survival rates.
One innovative oral cancer screening device, GOCCLES, were awarded a ++++ 1/2 rating in a clinical evaluation by Dental Advisor. When used with dental office curing lights, the optical filters of Pierrel’s award-winning GOCCLES eyewear provide simple, non-invasive and painless early screenings for oral cancer and precancerous lesions.
Most recently, Pierrel introduced the launch of the GOCCLES App, suitable for iOS and Android, in support of its oral cancer screening device. The app:
* uses a library of reference images representing the most common oral lesions,
* provides dental professionals with a guided inspection of the oral cavity, and
* includes online clinical support available from professionals to help identify suspicious lesions in case of uncertainties.
In April, Benco customers can buy one pair of Goccles, and get a Goccles curing light free.
Find out how HERE.
3. Driving Dentistry Forward Podcast featuring Oral Medicine Expert Dr. A. Ross Kerr
Dr. A. Ross Kerr is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Oral Medicine, and the Director of Special Patient Care and Hospital Dentistry at NYU College of Dentistry. His research interests include aphthous stomatitis (canker sores) and oral cancer. His clinical practice focuses on the dental management of medically complex patients and the diagnosis and treatment of patients with oral mucosal disease, salivary gland dysfunction and oral-facial pain.
Watch for details about the upcoming podcast here at TheDailyFloss.com and on the Benco Dental social media channels.
4. Bonus: Ideas for Oral Cancer Awareness Month
- Host a free screening event at your practice this month. Let the media know your plans. Not only is it a great way to give back, it brings new people into your practice for a visit.
- Offer to host a screening event at a local drugstore and partner with them for help with publicity and marketing.