Managing Directors at the nation’s largest independently owned dental distributor — Benco Dental — recently shared an update with their dental customers and the dental community regarding masks and infection control products.
Below, a letter from Benco Dental Managing Directors Chuck Cohen and Rick Cohen:
“As you’re well aware, the COVID-19 pandemic has led to an unprecedented and sudden worldwide spike in demand for infection control products. Severe supply chain disruptions are impacting our ability to fulfill certain orders at this time. Unfortunately, it will be some time before the situation normalizes.
Here’s what we’re doing right now to help ensure supply continuity for as many customers as possible:
· We are continually refining our methodology for rationing items like masks, gloves and wipes based upon your order history, our current stock, and expected stock.
· We are selling most asepsis products only to healthcare practitioners to ensure that the people who need these essential items most—you—have as much access as we can provide given the circumstances.
· In order to equitably distribute products, Benco reserves the right to ration the quantity of asepsis products being sold. In a majority of circumstances, Benco will only accept orders for asepsis products from existing customers, who had placed an order with Benco for consumable products in 2019.
· We continue to work with our manufacturers across multiple countries to minimize the impact of shortages.
Here’s what you can do to help ensure you get the products you need:
· Contact your Friendly Benco Rep or call 1-800-GO BENCO for the latest information on ordering and quantity limits per product type. The COVID-19 pandemic’s impact on supply chains is fluid and changing by the hour. Because of this, Benco adjusts our rationing procedures as necessary.
Here’s what we know about price increases:
· Benco Dental has never, and will never, engage in price gouging. We will keep our prices steady except when manufacturers increase our costs.
· However, with a huge and sudden spike in demand for infection control products, price increases are inevitable.
· The vast majority of well-known manufacturers are honest and ethical, and they also know that greed is bad for business.
· While we expect prices to rise, sometimes sharply, bear in mind that manufacturers are working to identify suppliers that can keep up with demand for materials, and they’re also responding as best they can to pressure to increase production capacity. Anytime demand exceeds supply, costs rise all down the line. Everyone is doing whatever it takes to keep production lines rolling in the face of a worldwide health crisis. The increases we are starting to see are a result of supply chains stretched to the breaking point at every link.
· As always, when supply catches up, prices will normalize as well.
We understand how difficult this situation is. We’re proud of your commitment to providing remarkable patient care during this crisis, and we want to assure you that Benco is doing everything in our power to secure all of the product we can.Benco Dental Managing Directors Chuck Cohen and Rick Cohen
We value your business, we’re grateful for your loyalty, and thank you for your patience as we navigate these supply chain challenges due to extraordinary circumstances beyond our control.”