Drs. Joshua Austin and Lance Timmerman host the Working Interferences podcast, a lighthearted (and NSFW) window into their views on dentistry. While the show itself might not ring a bell, you know Dr. Austin from his popular column in Dental Economics, Pearls For Your Practice, while Dr. Timmerman is a noted practitioner, lecturer and opinion leader.
On Episode 81 they “lost their minds” according to the show’s description over Incisal Edge‘s annual list of the 32 Most Influential people in dentistry, and “spent 30 minutes hyperventilating https://www.incisaledgemagazine.com/mag/category/32-most-influential-people/about the insanity.” They had more than a few harsh words, but according to the Incisal Edge team:
“We happily take the criticism from two guys who certainly don’t take themselves too seriously.”Incisal Edge editorial team
Just for fun, here are the 23 most attention-getting comments heard, along with Incisal Edge thoughts in response. Says Incisal Edge Editor Ed Kobesky, “Maybe they’ll like this list better.”
1. “I don’t mean to throw shade at the good people at Benco Dental. The most I’ve ever gotten paid per minute to lecture was by Benco.”
[pauses podcast] Get me someone in accounting.
2. “Did we make [the list]? I feel like, there’s definitely no way we’re going to be number one, two or three. If we’re going to be there, we’re going to be at the end.”
Sorry. There’s always 2020.
3. “Lodestar? I don’t know that word.”
Referring to our description of #2, the new breed of Entrepreneurial Dentists who are not solo, not DSO, not fully corporate. OK, we’ll admit, “lodestar” is kind of a fifty-cent word.
4. “That’s all he does is s–t post.”
In fairness, that’s not all #3, Howard Farran, does. In between those so-called s–t posts, he founded an important media empire that includes 25-year-strong Dentaltown magazine, plus dentistry’s first and still leading social platform with about a quarter-million registered users.
5. “I have no idea what she does.”
#7, Martha Somerman of the NIDCR, oversees a $462 million research budget, 81 percent of which is directed at oral health. That’s a lot of millions and a lot of clout.
6. “Jimmy G!”
We like Jim Glidewell (#9) a bunch too.
7. “You can sit on it, Alex and Jordan, you millennial bastards.”
Smile Direct Club (#11) and its founders are certainly making waves. We report, you decide.
8. “It’s all ball bearings.”
This in response to Straumann’s outgoing CEO, Marco Gadola (#12) and the hosts’ contention that the company’s products aren’t especially noteworthy.
9. “We love this guy, we talk about him every show. Gordo!”
#13, the one and only Gordon Christensen of course. We love this guy too. Wait…did we just agree?
10. “A total d–khead.”
Regarding Paul Gosar (R-AZ), one of five lawmaker-dentists sharing the #14 spot. In fact, six of Gosar’s siblings did publicly endorse his opponent. Ouch.
11. “Just because you’re a dentist doesn’t mean d–k.”
Again, regarding the five lawmaker-dentists.
12. “I don’t even know what the f— Park Dental is.”
But you should! The company doubled in size in just a few years thanks to #17, owner Paul Gulon.
13. “Michael, I owe you my life, I owe you my career, you’re an amazing person.”
Regarding SSC founder Michael Cohen, #18 on the list.
14. “Yeah, but I guess she, like, saved some peoples’ lives with that water stuff.”
Regarding anti-sugar lobby crusader, Cristin Kearns, #20 who we likened to the Erin Brockovich of dentistry. We guess she, like, is only singlehandedly taking on the food equivalent of Big Tobacco. Small potatoes. Pfff.
15. “It would help if they would explain why.”
Regarding the reasoning behind our picks, and for the record we did thoroughly explain each one.
16. “Should be one, two or three. He’s the influencer.”
Regarding #23, John Kois.
17. “Take a long walk off a short pier, Incisal Edge magazine, for putting this blowhard on this list.”
Regarding blogger, lifestyle maven and charcoal toothpaste evangelist, #24, Lauren Evarts of TheSkinnyConfidential.com. Are patients pestering you about charcoal toothpaste? We bet they are, and here’s an important reason why. Just sayin.’
18. “The guy runs a stupid Facebook group.”
16,000+ group members might disagree regarding #25, Paul Goodman, founder of Dental Nachos.
19. “How on earth is Paul Goodman above Frank Spear? What are we doing!”
If this were a lifetime achievement awards, we’d wholeheartedly agree. But influence shifts year to year.
20. “I just want to throw my computer through a wall.”
Please don’t do that…not on our account!
21. “The janitor that cleans up at the Spear center after Frank lectures should be higher on the list than Paul Goodman.”
Jeez, does Goodman owe you two guys money or something?
22. “Chuck Cohen, owner of Benco, come on this show and please explain this to me. Open invite.”
He’s busy that day.
23. “What do you think Beto O’Rourke does?”
Regarding whether #30 on our list, ahem, relieves himself standing up or sitting down. This feels like a good place to stop.