Incisal Edge magazine earns recognition in Folio: Eddie and Ozzie Awards
Incisal Edge has earned finalist status – six submissions in four categories — for this year’s Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards celebrating uncompromising journalism and gorgeous design.
In August, the Folio: team announced finalists. The team, along with a prestigious panel of 200+ judges, narrowed the more than 2,000 Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Award entries received this year to a list of roughly 1,000 finalists. The annual awards program, recognizing the very best in editorial and design, is the most comprehensive of its kind in the industry.
“We are so proud of the Incisal Edge team for earning finalist status. Six submissions in four categories: journalism, graphic design, photography and web design have been recognized in this year’s Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards,” said Incisal Edge Editor Rachel A. Pugh, also the Branding and Communications Manager for the magazine’s publisher, Benco Dental.
Benco Dental publishes Incisal Edge, which celebrates dentists’ achievements both inside the operatory and during their hard-earned downtime.
Known for its 40 Under 40 America’s Best Young Dentists, the nation’s only dental lifestyle magazine, in 2014, reached more than 40,000 Benco customers and their staffs.
Which Incisal Edge features are in the spotlight?
EDDIES, awards for uncompromising journalism:
- (below, left) Full Issue: Incisal Edge, Winter Edition, 2018, “Survivors,” by Incisal Edge editorial team. Known for its “40 Under 40” feature that highlights the country’s brightest rising stars in dentistry, the magazine dedicates its cover to a topic neither glamorous nor bright: the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. Aside from complementary coverage such as disaster preparedness and recovery assistance, the issue spotlights 22 pages of inspiration for renovations and rebuilds: the magazine’s 2017 Design Competition honorees.
- (above, center) Long-Form Feature Content: Incisal Edge, Spring Edition, 2018: “Lights Out”, by Liz Dilts. Liz Dilts offers an honest examination of the level of welcomed innovation in the profession of dentistry – or lack thereof. Dilts’ interviews show that experts are divided on whether true dental innovation has ground to a halt or if it’s in the middle of a golden age.
- (above, right) Series of Articles: Incisal Edge, Design Feature, by Kristie Ceruti. Making a Splash, Spring 2018, Serenity by the Sea, Fall 2017, In Perfect Harmony, Summer 2017, Incisal Edge Design Competition package, Winter 2018. Every issue offers a feature based on the interior design, architecture and space planning. While photographs and blueprints offer a visual depiction, the impetus behind the masterpieces and the visionaries who drove the process forward can only be fully discovered in the stories.
OZZIES, awards for gorgeous design.
- (shown below, left) Feature Design: Incisal Edge, Fall, 2017, “Picture Perfect – 40 Under 40,” by Artistic Director LoriahWebby. Color leads the countdown of America’s best young dentists. With a challenge of featuring 40 people in an organized, readable and attractive manner, Loriah Webby incorporated a geometric element on the opener that transformed into a tool on the following pages to help direct the reader. Bright group shots add visual engagement and balance the glow that seems to surround each nominee and his or her effusive smile.
- (shown above, right) Photography: Incisal Edge, Winter, 2018, “Catch Some Rye,” by Eric Larsen. With the photography used for the Apex Spirits feature on spicy rye whiskey, Eric Larsen aimed to convey the feeling of bundled up warmth in winter and he accomplishes his goal.
- (below) Site Design: Incisal Edge, com, by Kevin Garubba, Under40Summit.com was born of a mission: Create a place for the dental community that rewards passion, success, and owning your craft. When we built our website, we designed what we wished was already out there for dentists – a chance for them to express their authentic personalities and highest levels of success in connection with prestigious events.
Winners and Honorable Mentions of Coveted Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards to be Honored at October 9 Awards Gala
Finalists (view a complete list) include gorgeous designs and uncompromising journalism from companies like:
American Chemical Society
Cannabis Business Times
DTN/The Progressive Farmer
Masons of California
Oahu Publications Inc.
Professional Photographers of America
Red Bull Media House
San Diego Magazine
Society of Women Engineers
Travel + Leisure
TEN: The Enthusiast Network
“The Eddie & Ozzie Awards recognize the pillars of magazine and digital publishing—outstanding journalism and content, photography, design, and the extremely talented people who produce it,” said Caysey Welton, Content Director at Folio:. “No other program celebrates a wider range of publications. Whether it’s a niche magazine with an audience of 5,000, or an online trade publication, or a mass consumer brand that reaches tens of millions of readers on multiple platforms, these awards shine a light on all their brilliant work.”
“Year after year the entries continue to impress all of us here at Folio:” said Welton. “It’s inspiring to see all the great work our community produced over the past year.”
The winners and honorable mentions of the coveted Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards will be celebrated at an awards gala on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, during The Folio: Show at the Hilton Midtown in New York City from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
About The Folio: Show
The Folio: Show, held October 9-10 in NYC, provides two days of thought-provoking sessions, unparalleled networking and enlightening keynotes to immerse attendees in a deep dive of where media is heading.
This year’s program boasts 50+ speakers from industry leaders at Facebook, Amazon, CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times, Meredith, SourceMedia, and more. For more information, visit www.FolioShow.com.
Folio: is the information resource publishing executives turn to for news analysis, commentary, and thought leadership in driving business strategy, value creation and revenue growth. Folio: delivers this insight across several newsletters, social media communities, special reports and live events. For more information, visit www.Foliomag.com.