April delivers a reminder to commit to prevention and self-care: Oral Cancer Awareness Month.
Here’s something to be aware of: oral cancer is the sixth deadliest cancer in the world. The treatment of oral cancer often produces major changes in speech, chewing, swallowing and oral health, which in addition to the disease, affects the social life and self-esteem of the affected person.
What’s one way to help? Provide oral cancer screenings to aid in early diagnosis.
The latest release of VELscope technology, called the VELscope® Vx, uses natural tissue fluorescence to improve the way practitioners examine the oral mucosa and screen for tissue abnormalities by enhancing the visualization of pre-cancers, cancer and other disease processes.
According to Velscope.com, VELscope® Vx is the global market leader in tissue fluorescence visualization. Over 25 million VELscope® Vx exams have been performed by more than 12,000 dentists in 23 countries.
10 Advantages of Velscope
- Fits in with your workflow and complements your intra and extraoral head and neck examination with minimal setup and nominal time added to the overall appointment.
- Helps you see things which may be hard to visualize, offers an imaging modality which is sensitive to tissue changes.
- Provides visual information that is bright and easy to observe within the typical lighting conditions in a dental operatory.
- Allows for straightforward photo documentation. Photography solution is easy to integrate and bright tissue response allows you to easily acquire digital images to be used for patient records or sent to referral partners.
- Clinically proven for the enhanced visualization of mucosal abnormalities, and for use by specialists in helping establish lesion margins for surgical excision.
- Assists in the fight against oral cancer.
- Readily accepted by patients and office staff.
- Well-supported in terms of after-sales support, extensive training material, as well as clinical support.
- Affordable for any practice.
- An attractive source of ongoing revenue for dental practitioners.
World Health Organization recognizes VELscope®
Recognized by the World Health Organization, the award-winning VELscope® Vx is the world’s most widely used adjunctive device for the enhanced visualization of oral mucosal abnormalities, such as oral cancer or pre-malignant dysplasia.
VELscope® Vx is a powerful device for the enhanced visualization of mucosal abnormalities such as oral cancer and premalignant dysplasia
VELscope® Vx uses tissue fluorescence rather than reflectance. Natural tissue fluorescence is caused by “fluorophores” that, when excited by light of an appropriate wavelength (e.g. blue), will emit their own light at a longer wavelength (e.g. green). The resulting fluorescence may reveal information about cellular, structural, and/or metabolic activity changes that are often directly related to disease processes occurring inside the tissue.
What makes it different?
Unlike other adjunctive devices used by dentists, the VELscope® Vx system does not require any dyes or prolonged testing procedures. VELscope® Vx examinations can be performed in the dentist’s office during routine hygiene exams (and under normal lighting conditions) in about two minutes.
How to Buy
The VELscope® Vx is sold exclusively through a worldwide network of distributors, including Benco Dental: https://shop.benco.com/Product/4736-403/velscope-vx-system
To learn more, visit Velscope’s website: here.