A spherical office suspended in the air between two towers. An unconventional mix of a modern trapezoidal-shaped housed in an historic downtown structure. A ‘living space’ lobby and calming color scheme aimed to make patients feel at home. A planet and patient-friendly masterpiece inspired by a father-son duo. A recreation of space that empowers the surgeons and educators within. A timeless pediatric practice for all ages designed with room to grow.
The aforementioned descriptions offer a mental picture of the half-dozen eyepopping practices featured in the Incisal Edge Winter Edition as winners of the second annual Incisal Edge Design Competition, as presented by the dental lifestyle magazine and Clarion Financial.
Without further adieu, the winners are:
- New Construction Practice (Tie) – Dental 32 (Dr. Steve Truong) and Sky Dental (Dr. Abby Hussamy-Kanj)
- Repurposed Practice – Altura Periodontic & Training Facility (Group Practice)
- Eco-Friendly Practice- Lewright Family & Cosmetic Dentistry (Drs. Jack and Brent Lewright)
- Specialty Practice – Pediatric Dentistry of Columbia (Dr. Sangita Doshi)
- Design of the Future – Larry Lee Design (Larry Lee)
Want to get inspired both aesthetically and dentally? View the winning entries of the practices listed at http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/2bc2b9ad#/2bc2b9ad/42
The magazine’s team canvassed doctors, equipment specialists, architects and designers nationwide for nominations across five categories: Best New Construction, Best Repurpose, Best Eco-Friendly, Best Specialty and, for the first time, a speculative Design of the Future (featured above). They then turned it all over to the blue-ribbon panel of five judges:
- DAVID ALLISON, FAIA, NCARB, ACHA, the Alumni Distinguished Professor and the Director of Graduate Studies in Architecture and Health at Clemson University, in Clemson, South Carolina, focusing on health-care architecture;
- TRISTAN HAMILTON, DDS, M. ARCH., who holds degrees in architecture (from Andrews University in Michigan) and dentistry (from Loma Linda University in Southern California). He lives in Wilmington, North Carolina, where he practices in an office he designed himself;
- LISA PHILP, RDH, CMC, who combines practical applications of dentistry with real life solutions as the innovative leader and business owner at the full-service coaching company for dentistry – Transitions Group North America;
- REX WILDEY, DDS, who holds a degree in dentistry and a certificate in pediatric dentistry. A second-generation dentist, he infuses a commitment to the welfare of children into his practice, a surf-themed haven created around a vintage Volkswagen microbus;
- ADAM M. WISE, LEED AP DESIGNER, BOHLIN CYWINSKI JACKSON, an architect and an LEED Accredited Professional whose primary focus concerns using state-of-the-art technology to streamline design.
Published by Benco Dental, Incisal Edge celebrates dentists’ achievements both inside the operatory and during their hard-earned downtime. For additional information regarding Incisal Edge magazine, visit: http://www.benco.com/incisaledge/